Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I really do major in "organization" ....kinda.

..Let me clarify. I am an Organizational Communication Major. It doesn't really mean what I WISH it meant - which is that I am taking classes on how to Organize everything in my LIFE. It's moreso about Organizations - as in companies. However, I don't see why they can't go hand in hand. Being organized is a big benefit in any aspect of life, right?

Let me give you a little background on myself.
I am a Virgo.. Virgo's are "perfectionists." While I am far from perfect things that are less than perfect often bug the crap out of me! Furthermore, I get great, sometimes borderline creepy joy out of anything that helps me organize. This includes organized people, classes on organization, organizational tools and organizational references. I'd like to share some with you.

I understand completely that organization may be a terrifying thought for some.. but you don't have to be afraid. Really! A lot of authors make it exciting or at least slightly amusing to pick up after yourself.

Just remember the following tips from me, personally:
  • There's a home for everything.. don't be shocked if you realize that the GARBAGE CAN is on the list of homes..

  • Letting go is a big part of organization.

  • Lastly, if you CLEAN as you go, you will never have a huge, terrifying mess to clean up. That one is actually compliments of my mom. Those crazy moms, they actually know what they're talking about sometimes. ;)
Today we'll start with references which will include 3 books and one magazine for now.

REFERENCES:


As a gift, I bought a ReadyMade magazine subscription for my boyfriend's sister, for her birthday.. conveniently, I also bought one for myself! In an even stranger coincidence, this is the first issue I recieved. "Get Organized!" -Perfect!! The subheading of the magazine is "Instructions for Everyday Life." Ohhh I get tingly. Further, the website's subheading reads "A Bimonthly Magazine for People Who Like to Make Stuff." If that is NOT my middle name, I don't know what is. If the content in this paragraph excites you as much as it has excited me.. well thank goodness I'm not alone. Between organizing, creating, decorating and just finding new things to tell your friends you found it first.. this mag is pure joy. Check it out here!

If you have never checked out Amazon.com, you are definitely missing out. Besides all the interesting things you can find, there are some amazing prices! For a person, like myself, who buys books faster than she can read them AND finds joy in just LOOKING at her overflowing bookshelf, Amazon.com is the perfect heaven.

I recently found 2 books very cheap on here. I began searching for Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen. (Okay, THAT title is my middle name...) Although, I did find this book available for purchase, I didn't buy it in time to get it for $3.09. I've read some reviews on it and am yearning to own it. However, I'm so cheap.. I can wait.

The books I purchased came from a book store a couple towns away from me and I actually spent a total of no more than $12, I believe. Shipping was about $3.50 and you do the rest of the math.

Tell us Bob... the actual retail price of these two books was a total of $35!! I love a good deal. The overall process of buying books online is great. All you need is a credit card and an address. (Preferably both belonging to yourself.. or at least someone who is aware you are using theirs!) I got my books in just a couple days!

Donna Smallin.. you're a genius.















So far, I've read the first one.. Not cover to cover. It's not meant for that. It's actually meant for just quick referencing. It's organized (hah) very well into categories like spaces, papers, etc. I think this would make a great "coffee table" type book. Really.

I will keep you posted on my readings.
Til then.. Live Swell!

No comments: